the smith family.
Since day dot, we committed to contributing 100% of all net profits to The Smith Family to ensure a better future for Aussie kids. For almost 100 years, The Smith Family has supported disadvantaged Australian children to participate fully in their education, giving them the best chance at breaking the cycle of disadvantage.
Their learning support and mentoring programs help children in need to fit in at school, keep up with their peers, and build aspirations for a better future for themselves.
You have the exciting opportunity to sponsor a child through our ongoing flower subscriptions. After 12 months of continuous subscription with a minimum spend of $150 p/w, we'll provide a profile of your sponsored child. You will have the opportunity to learn about them and their progress at school, all the while maintaining the child's confidentiality.
NUMERACY & LITERACY PROGRAMS
All other purchases support The Smith' Family's numeracy and literacy programs. These programs involve supporting kids build foundational skills with the assistance of amazing mentors.
- Sponsor a Child (includes financial support, learning for life mentors and ongoing access to learning)
- Volunteer (multiple opportunities available nationally)
- Fundraise (events, workplace giving or create your own initiative!)
- Donate (monetary, gifts in will and toys & books)
- Purchase Charity Christmas Cards and Gifts (online and in-store)
- Noosa Classic (cycling event), 10th October 21
- Sydney City2Surf (fun run), 17th Oct 21
- Adelaide City Bay (fun run), 7 Nov 21
- Bridge to Brisbane (fun run), 7 Nov 21
- National Toy and Book Appeal (fundraise, donate and volunteer!)
THE BIG ISSUE.
As a business focused on sustainability as a core principle, we enacted an initiative to further limit our green wastage from our weekly corporate flower arrangements. We began repurposing these flowers into our Take Me Home flower corner in our studio. Every flower in this corner is available to the public for a $ donation that supports a different The Big Issue Magazine vendor each month. We currently repurpose approximately 81% of our flowers from corporate arrangements through this initiative!
The Big Issue magazine is a fortnightly, independent magazine sold on the streets by people experiencing homelessness, marginalisation and disadvantage. The magazines are purchased by vendors for $4.50 and then sold for $9, helping vendors earn a meaningful income. Our closest The Big Issue Vendor is the lovely Louis who trades outside Southern Cross station!
Open every weekday from 9am-5pm, pop down and grab some beauties before they’re all gone!
- Purchase magazine from vendor (vendors can be found in all Aussie states excluding NT and TAS).
- Magazine subscription (fortnightly delivery and funds support women's homelessness organisation Women's Subscription Enterprise)
- Subscribe to newsletter (news and updates)
- Donate (supports ongoing work and tax-deductible)
- The Big Issue Challenge (half-day corporate team-building activity that partners group with vendor to sell magazines and learn about homelessness and disadvantage from a guest speaker).
We love EVERYTHING about Streat! We love their coffee, bread and baked goods, but more than that, we love that they support young people at risk of homelessness by providing them with skills and training in catering and hospitality. We use their delicious bread in our hampers and veggie boxes where we can to help support them.
- Buy their bread, pastries and coffee
- Visit a cafe at Melbourne Central, RMIT, RACV or Cromwell St for a cup of ethically sourced coffee goodness
- Make a donation. Streat is a registered charity and donations over $2 are tax-deductible!
How you can directly support miei
As a growing social-enterprise (existing in a particularly interesting time in history!) there's always things that we'd love to have to either make our services more efficient or our work more effective.
During the last 18 months, we've had to sacrifice acquiring some of these additions in order to ensure we keep our team together (because to us, people come before everything!). This was an easy decision to make, however having some of these additional resources would be a game changer for our small team!
If you'd like to support us, here's a few things on our ultimate wish-list that we'd be privileged and grateful to receive.
- Chippy services to help us construct shelving in our miei van (to protect our product in transit)
- Spare iPad (to assist customers with shopping experience in retail store and for POS use at pop-up stalls)
- Spare iPhone handset (for customer service enquiries)
- Paper-shredder (to repurpose shipping boxes into packing materials for our online orders!)
Unfortunately, we are not a registered charity so contributions cannot be tax deductible and are considered 'in-kind' donations.